Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Emotional Cooties


When I was little my Aunt Geneva used to tell us some kids had cooties. I don't know about the physically contagious ones she implied but I do think some people have emotionally contagious cooties.

You know the ones I'm talking about - the people in your life who go out of their way to treat you like crap. Family, acquaintances, strangers, co-workers, so-called friends. We all know at least one person who for one reason or another is unhappy in something in their own life but instead of fixing it goes out of their way to mistreat us and make us question our worth.

For instance, Randy. When I first met him 3 years ago he appeared to be the kind of guy I would like to know better. Tall and handsome with deep blue eyes and the sexiest, manliest voice I've ever heard, he was sweet, thoughtful, funny and a gentleman. We would meet at 7-11 every morning, swap stories about what was going on with life and our kids, joke and flirt and be on our way. It felt good to be around someone who shared my warped sense of humor and gift for gab and genuinely appreciated me, especially since I had split up with a boyfriend who didn't. Randy was divorced, his kids were grown, he owned a construction company and seemed to be a pretty emotionally stable guy. Ah, a grown-up! Well after several months I finally got up the nerve and asked him out. He said he had a girlfriend, which I should of figured, and I was fine with that and let it go. I thought at least we could be friends.

Well that was almost two years ago and he hasn't talked to me since. We run into each other in town all the time. When I run into people I know I always say "Hi" or wave, but he just ignored me and continues to do, like he did this morning. Like everyone else who knows me he knows I'm a nice person and he knows it hurts me when he does it. I try to avoid him as much as possible as I do anyone who treats me that way. Why bother setting yourself up for another bad encounter?

I honestly don't understand why people go out of their way to hurt others. I just don't see how that kind of behavior is constructive at all except in their own minds they feel superior. Personally they can keep it. I don't want or need anyone in my life who is going to treat me like I'm less than I am.

add to sk*rtStumble upon

No comments: