Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Earthquake!

A moderate earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.6 struck shortly after 8:00 p.m. tonight centered in the foothills east of San Jose and was felt by residents as far east as Sacramento and as far north as San Rafael, which is north of San Francisco.

Now for people like me who have lived in northern California their entire lives an earthquake is no big deal. We live about 90 miles from the area. I was working and suddenly everything in the room started moving and the floor felt like it was rolling like waves. No big -- been there, done that. I'm always curious though when an earthquake occurs as to how many people would be on the street. Well, on opening the front door the only neighbors I saw were the family living across the road from us, who had just moved to California a few months ago. The parents didn't know what it was and the three sons were asking "what was that?" and clinging to their parents. I told them it was no 9-1-1, just an earthquake, you get used to them.

Now for my son this was a big deal. When he asked what it was and I told him it was an earthquake he gave me a big hug and said, "My first earthquake and we shared it together!" Only my silly son could react this way. I've been lucky enough to witness all the major milestones so far in his life and this was another as far as he was concerned. His first earthquake, hot dog! Then like most northern California natives I went back to work and he returned to watching TV.

add to sk*rtStumble upon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Sacramento and felt it all the way here! It was too cool!